When we think about water sports in India, surfing is usually not the one which crosses our mind. The sport is growing slowly but steadily and has become popular in last few years. Do you want to learn surfing or do you have a surfing board and just want to take that much awaited break to jump in the sea?
We have listed down our favourite surfing spots in the country.
1) Mulki, Karnataka: Still quite unexplored, Mulki is a small town close to Mangalore. This was the place where the first surf school was started and it put India on the map for surfing enthusuasts. Mulki is famous for the different water sports it offers. The beach remains uncrowded for most of the year.
Where to learn: Mantra Surf club
2) Gokarna, Karnataka: People these days flock to Gokarna after everyone has had enough of its overcrowded counterpart Goa. But did you know that it’s one of the best places to surf in India as well. A nice backpacking vibe, cheap hostels and nice waves for beginner level surfing equals a dream vacation we say!
Where to learn: Cocopelli Surf School
3) Varkala, Kerala: Gaining popularity as we speak is Varkala, a pretty town in Kerala. Surfing here would be fun, and the waves are perfect for beginner level surfers too. The beach along the cliff is pretty and a nice spot to chill and unwind after a long day of surfing.
Where to learn: Soul and Surf
4) Kovalam, Kerala: This is one of the most famous location for surfing in India and is frequented by a lot of surfers across the country. There is a beach break at the Lighthouse which offers the best right and left waves, perfect for a day in the sea. As the beach is famous for surfing, you can easily rent surf boars from a nearby shop.
Do you know Kovalam hosted India’s first surf contest, The Spice Coast Open 2013?
Where to learn: Kovalam Surf Club
5)Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu:
“The French Riviera of the East” has beautiful laidback beaches and the best vibe for surfing. Serenity Beach is very popular where the surf breaks were created to protect the beach after 2004 Tsunami.
Where to learn: Kallialay Surf School
6) Covelong/Kovalam, Tamil Nadu: This is a fishing village near Chennai which has emerged into one of the best places for surfing in the country. People usually get confused as the name is same to the famous Kovalam beach in Kerala, but this is a different place (different state and more than 700 kilometres away!).
The place is considered to be the best in wind surfing in India.
Where to learn: Covelong Point Surf School
7) Little Andaman, Andaman Islands: If you have passed the beginner level and want to experience the thrill then Butler Bay is waiting for you.
Considered as the best surfing spot in the country, the place is quite popular among the intermediate and advanced surfers. Pristine waters, big beautiful waves and an island to yourself, Andamans gives you more than you have asked for.
Where to learn: Mantra Surf Club conduct regular guided surf trips
Click here to read more about Little Andamans!